One Room Challenge|Week 4

Garage Edition

Well, week four has already come and gone and I am just now writing up this post for the One Room Challenge. I missed the blog link up but I’ll at least go over what happened 😬. Sometimes life gets loud and crazy over here and the last thing on my mind is sitting down at the computer to write. A lot has happened the past couple of weeks.

Week 4 seemed fairly stagnant but there were some big accomplishments for me. Like, the butcher block countertop that I miter cut! Seriously! I DID THAT! Something I had never done before and kicked butt at, if I do say so myself. Did it go smoothly? Nope. Did I figure it out? You bet I did!

Let’s take a look at what we have accomplished since week three:

  • Cut and installed butcher block countertop
  • Painted and installed kick board
  • Measured and marked where support beams will go for the PRX Performance Squat rack

Let’s talk about the PRX Performance squat rack. The measurements for the support beams can’t be more than 1/4 inch off otherwise they won’t retract properly. So I have been taking my sweet time with this because I have a tendency to rush things to get them done as fast as possible. Once I marked the studs and determined where the beams will need to be installed, I cut holes in the drywall. I used a 3.5″ hole saw for this. Why, you ask? If you recall a few posts back, we talked about electrical code and why you shouldn’t use screws that are longer than 2″.

Holes from hole saw to allow for reaching in to feel for electrical cables that may be running through the stud, rather than down the side of a stud.

I have to use 3.5″ Lag screws for the support beams. So I cut holes into the drywall in between the studs so that I could stick my hand in and feel for any electrical cables that may be running through the stud, rather than down the sides. Fortunately, there weren’t any cables running through where my beams would be installed, so I am in the clear to continue.

And yes, before you attack like the many trolls on Instagram did, the outlets are painted. I used a dry brush to avoid excess paint. This was BEFORE I knew that this could potentially be a fire hazard, even though this has been done by interior designers for decades… The reason it can be a fire hazard is, if paint got in between the prong and the metal contact plate, heat could build up and cause a fire. I know some people are very opinionated about this topic, so lets just remember that this is my home and I prefer for the outlets to not be an eyesore here.

That is about all that was done this week. Thank you for listening to my rant. Please be sure to check out the other guest participants and featured designers for the One Room Challenge.

First time I have EVER seen my garage organized!

Please reach out here if you have any questions or concerns that you would like addressed🧡.

Leave a Reply